Understanding the Software Update Chain
Understanding the software update process from clients to servers.
When you first start off with configuration manager and software updates there are always a lot of questions, what options should l use, how do they work and more.
Software Update Policy
When does this REALLY Happen
- Anytime a NEW software update group is assigned AND machine policy Runs
- Anytime a scheduled instance of Software Update Scan Schedule Hits
- Anytime a Deployment is completed
- Sometimes after a reboot is completed - Depends on assignment configuration
- This does NOT contact WSUS
- Uses the existing locally stored policies in WMI
WMI Explorer is a fantastic tool to review the classes that are involved in all of this
Explanation from microsoft.com
Set this option to Yes to allow clients to use delta content files. This setting allows the Windows Update Agent on the device to determine what content is needed and selectively download it.
- This client setting replaces Enable installation of Express installation files on clients. Set this option to Yes to allow clients to use express installation files. For more information, see Manage Express installation files for Windows 10 updates.
- When this option is set, delta download is used for all Windows update installation files, not just express installation files.When using a CMG for content storage, the content for third-party updates won't download to clients if the Download delta content when available client setting is enabled.
Deltaldownload.log - is the log file that tracks this behavior
The feature, that used to be a bug - ish.
When you set this option to Yes, and the client has at least one "Software Update" maintenance window defined, software updates will install during an "All deployments" maintenance window.
By default, this setting is set to No. This value uses the same behavior as before: if both types exist, it ignores the window.
SELECT sw.Name AS [MW Name],
sw.Duration AS 'Duration Minutes',
sw.IsEnabled AS 'MW Enabled',
sys.Name0 AS ServerName,
sys.Operating_System_Name_and0 AS OperatingSystem
FROM dbo.v_ServiceWindow AS sw INNER JOIN
dbo.v_FullCollectionMembership AS fcm ON sw.CollectionID = fcm.CollectionID
INNER JOIN dbo.v_R_System sys ON fcm.ResourceID = sys.ResourceID
WHERE (sys.Name0 = 'DEMO6')
ORDER BY [MW Name], sys.Name0
Business hours, and clients.